20041203

Gotta Go To Bed Earlier!

I spent most of the night setting up Apache, MySQL, and PHP on my old P2-400. I really wish I could have done it through Linux instead of Windows 2000, but Mandrake just hasn't been acting that reliable.

For instance, I'm getting some serious weirdness with Firefox. If I run normally, it crashes when the JavaVM tries to start up. However, if I run Firefox as root, there's no problem. I checked the permissions, and they all seem good as far as I can tell. Grrr. One of these day's I'll move to Slackware and hopefully things will go better.

Apache was a breeze to set up. I had to do next to nothing to get it up and running. Just download and install. I think I tweaked the conf file to hook PHP up. Adding PHP to Apache wasn't too hard either, though it took a little more doing because I needed to set up php.ini. MySQL was giving me trouble, but I think it's because I don't know how to use it right. It's working now, though, for the most part. I'm using phpMyAdmin to set up MySQL. Having some weird issues with regards to logging in as root. Part of the problem was that I'm running MySQL 4.1, which uses a different password hashing algorithm than previous versions. But it's in a semi-precarious state of functional now.

Anyway, I gotta stop staying up until 3am playing on the computer. The kicker is, I'm not even playing any games! I poked around with Close Combat 2 for about 15 minutes tonight. I breezed through the tutorial and that was it. Before tonight, I haven't played a game since... Half-Life 2 on Sunday. I think something's wrong with me.

Well, time to go to bed.

Comments:
Hi Rachel! I'm honored to be listed in your blog! As soon as I get some time, I'll update the stupid links I have to the side and revamp this thing... :)

Anyway, I'm glad you found it.
 
Must confess that I understood not a word of this post, but that's OK. Sounds like the night I stayed up until 3 AM rearranging my bookshelves by odd categories.

Welcome to the world of blogging! It's oddly addictive after a while.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?